POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray on Debian AMD64
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Sep 2004 13:15:49
Message: <4151b345@news.povray.org>
In article <87y### [at] tc-1-100kawasakigolnejp> , Miles Bader
<mil### [at] gnuorg>  wrote:

>> I would strongly recommend to get the official gcc version from the gcc
>> website rather than whatever Debian ships with their distribution!  Debian
>> is known to screw up perfectly good open source packages and to distribute
>> supposedly "improved" versions full of bugs due to untested patches Debian
>> adds to their distribution.  You might also want to consider using a less
>> outdated Linux distribution like Redhat or Suse.
>
> Yeesh, quit it with the clueless flames.

I think it is you who is clueless here.  Did you ever check out what junk
Debian distributes a "stable" or "testing" povray packages.  Their "stable
version is a seven year outdated version of POV-Ray with more broken and
incompatible patches than POV-Ray has lines of code.  Their "testing"
version is not a tiny bit better, and there is no serious interest in
correcting it either.

If I would dare to install Debian anywhere, I am sure I would quickly find
that most of their packages enjoy the same kind of improvements.  And this
thread regarding gcc problems pretty much emphasizes this point perfectly!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.