POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non-mesh meshes : Re: non-mesh meshes Server Time
8 Sep 2024 22:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non-mesh meshes
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 21 Sep 2004 23:06:44
Message: <4150ec44@news.povray.org>
I'm admitting that I'm way over my head in this discussion, so I won't be
offended if you inform me that I'm not making any sense. ;-)

To move forward a little and to generalize a little, one of the benefits of
POV-Ray is the fact that it uses function based surfaces (CSG), rather than
meshes.  i.e. A sphere is a sphere, not a bunch of triangles glued together
with normal interpolation.  Imagine placing a sphere inside a slightly
larger mesh-based sphere.  You'd see the smaller sphere poking through the
mesh in some places, even though the mesh-based sphere would actually appear
larger (this could be a neat illusion).  In the long-run, wouldn't it make
more sense to actually create function based, spline-type surfaces?  Is that
what NURBS are?  (If so, then this has probably been discussed before.)

Before you kill me, realize that I'm just making statements based on
something that I know very little about and would have almost no idea how to
implement, so be nice.  ;-)

Oh, also I've apparently been saying "smooth triangle problem" when I should
have really been saying "shadow line problem".  I assumed they were both the
same thing.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com