POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non-mesh meshes : Re: non-mesh meshes Server Time
2 Jun 2024 17:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non-mesh meshes
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 21 Sep 2004 13:35:05
Message: <41506649$1@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message
> Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
>>
>> To back up a little bit, I'm often annoyed by the artifacts that
>> come as a result of the "smooth triangle" problem.
>
> http://www.slimeland.com/slimepov/

Thanks for that.  When I brought up the problem awhile ago (in the
p.tools.poser ng), I had heard that Christophe Bouffartigue had a fix once,
but I couldn't find any mention of it in any of the recent compilations.

I wonder why Slime's patch for the smooth triangle (and shadow-line
artifact) problem never made it into MegaPov.  But I'm guessing it's the
fact that "there is no solution that works in every case".

I tried the new version of PoseRay, and did surface subdivision on the
Victoria 3 model, and it seemed to work for me.  I'm sure there are still
some artifacts, but I guess it becomes a question of degree at that point,
and if you have enough RAM (and patience), you could always subdivide it
more.  IMHO, that is an awesome feature to have.  It's makes a world of
difference for POV-Ray.  (Though I have to say that it took me a few minutes
to figure out how to get it to work.)

I still think it would be waaay cool to be able to turn a mesh into
isosurfaces, though.  I guess I'll have to get smarter.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com