POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Affine or Perspective: I need to estimate the camera motion from two views : Re: Affine or Perspective: I need to estimate the camera motion from two views Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Affine or Perspective: I need to estimate the camera motion from two views
From: Warp
Date: 21 Sep 2004 06:44:31
Message: <4150060f@news.povray.org>
amjad <amj### [at] okstateedu> wrote:
> When we have the camera place at <0,0,-z> looking at <0,0,0> with a simple
> object in sight; say a square of length 3 units and centered at <1,1,10>
> and we do a simple rotation i.e. around X-axis, the simple rotation matrix
> given by [1 0 0;0 cos -sin;0 sin cos] indicates that all x coordinate  will
> stay the same! But in reality, a parallel vertical lines will converge to a
> point far away, thus the x-coordinates are changing as well as the
> y-coordinate. This affine Matrix can?t capture this, and parallel line will
> stay parallel. Is there a way to represent this perspective rotation in a
> single matrix?

  I don't understand what you are thinking about the transformation
matrix.

  The transformation matrix you give above will indeed not change
the x-coordinates of the object being transformed, but it will
naturally change its y and z coordinates. Since the z-coordinates
are being modified, some of the points will end up closer to the
camera (which was located at -z*10) than originally, and other
points will end up being farther than originally. Thus the
perspective will naturally affect vertical lines.
  This is exactly what rotating around the X axis does.

  The same applies if you are transforming the camera: By rotating the
camera you will basically just be changing its location and orientation.
A simple rotation of the camera does not affect perspective.