POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Re: Competition submission : Re: Competition submission Server Time
3 May 2024 19:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition submission
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 20 Sep 2004 14:56:52
Message: <414f27f4$1@news.povray.org>
news:414f0072@news.povray.org...

> Could we stop this pointless discussion?

Yes.  You were under no obligation to respond.
I'll gladly stop after this post.  So feel free to say
whatever you'd like.

> Direct result does not say "generated by POV-Ray".

No, but it does imply it.  Converting to a JPEG is not, in my opinion, a
"direct result."

> Nobody had a problem with JPEG files that have
> always been allowed before.  It is not like this is new, only PNG output
> has been dropped.

At least three people, including me, have posted in this newsgroup stating
that this section is a little confusing.  I considered mentioning this
before the rule change, but since I keep getting responses like this from
you, I didn't.

In the IRTC rules (5.f.i), it implies that converting to a JPEG is an
exception to the post-processing ban.  In other words, the IRTC considers
conversion to JPEG to be post-processing.  I don't know for a fact that
other versions of POV-Ray (like MegaPOV, MLPOV, etc.) do not allow direct
JPEG output, but it is a reasonable question.  The stakes of this
competition are much higher than the IRTC, and I would hate to see someone
disqualified for a simple rules violation.

I'm just trying to help.  Not everyone in this competition reads these
newsgroups, so a clarification on the rules page may be the right thing to
do.  But I do not make those decisions.  If you and the others feel it is
not necessary to clarify further, then I have no recourse.  Nevertheless, I
have stated my opinion, and you have already stated yours.

Thank you.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com