POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Re: Competition submission : Re: Competition submission Server Time
3 May 2024 14:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition submission
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 20 Sep 2004 08:54:38
Message: <414ed30e$1@news.povray.org>
news:414e0a6e$1@news.povray.org...
> In article <414### [at] joplincom> , Leroy <lrw### [at] joplincom>
> wrote:
>
>>> Well, given that POV-Ray does not write JPEG files, how else could you
>>> possibly get a JPEG file of a POV-Ray render?
>>
>> Then this line
>> "No post processing of any kind is permitted."
>> in Rule 4.Image D should be changed to advoid any confusion.
>
> No, there is no need to change any rules. Some basic intelligence is
> required of the competition participants:
>
> The sample images are JPEG and obviously JPEG images were always allowed.
> Anybody unable to understand that compressing an image is *not* post
> processing in the sense of the rules should probably not be taking part -
> you might consider it natural selection :-)
>
> And remember, the same kind of post processing rules have worked for the
> IRTC well for many years. Nobody even had a problem there either.  I would
> strongly advice to maybe use some common sense and not the lawyer mode of
> thinking.  It is much more productive to work on your images in the end!

Rule 4.d.
"Each image submitted has to be the direct result of a POV-Ray render.No
post processing of any kind is permitted. The images have to be submitted in
JPEG format. "

If, as Thorsten points out, "basic intelligence" is required, then the rules
appear to contradict themselves in this case.  If it is not possible to get
a JPEG as a direct result of a POV-Ray render, then we may wish to consider
leaving out the first sentence, and adding something that says, "However,
simply converting to the JPEG file format, and cropping of detail images is
allowed as long as no other processing is done to the image."

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com