POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3D Sound System : Re: POV-Ray 3D Sound System Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3D Sound System
From: Rune
Date: 19 Sep 2004 18:50:46
Message: <414e0d46@news.povray.org>
ingo wrote:
>> Pitch and gain can change over time just like position, and it should
>> be just as simple to do this.
>
> ... the Java program calculates the actual gain and pitch as a result
> of the speed, and proximity of the object to the camera.

...but there can be lots of other reasons to change gain and pitch than just
to simulate distance and doppler effect. For example I want my hovercraft to
rise from the ground and into the air, and while doing this the sound of the
engine rises both in volume (=gain) and in pitch. I can easily control this
from within my POV-Ray file. What's left for the sound-file you propose?
Just to specify the path/filename of each sound? It seems a little silly to
have a seperate file just for that.

> In case you want to add sound to each object in your particle system,
> would you want to figure out the timing for each particle or once set
> up a (general) event based system.

My current approach works fine as an event-based system. For example, if you
want to play a sound every time a particle hits an object, you can just call
a macro every time it happens:

//               time         source                  sound
sound_point_play(impact_time, concat("",particle_id), BoingSound)

> There's no manual editing of POV-Ray output.

So the time-line should be generated by the .pov-file after all? And only
the sound-file should be seperated from it? But then again, with a seperate
sound-file you can not as easily control gain and pitch over time, as I
mentioned... So I still think it's most logical to have it all created from
the .pov-file.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com