POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non-mesh meshes : Re: non-mesh meshes Server Time
2 Jun 2024 17:00:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non-mesh meshes
From: Jim Charter
Date: 19 Sep 2004 10:26:43
Message: <414d9723@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> I've had this strange question going around in my head for awhile now, so I
> thought I would finally ask:
>
> My understanding of meshes is not complete, but in theory, it seems like it
> would possible to take a mesh object, and convert each of the mesh triangles
> (including normals) into dissected CSG spheres which are then scaled,
> rotated, and translated into place.
>
> Has anyone ever experimented with this?  Obviously, render time would be
> much slower, especially if many difference operations are involved, and it
> just might be impossible with today's hardware and todays' large meshes.
> Additionally, I would guess that uv_mapping would be out of the question
> without a specific patch that supports this.  Nevertheless, it could be a
> useful tool in some, if not many, situations.

Not sure where you are heading with it.  It would seem that you could
take any three points and generate a triangular shape from planes and
use it to difference a sphere surface but the edges would still be
curved and not follow a straight line between the points. ( iso_csg has
a function for generating a triangle from three points btw which could
be used to clip the sphere surface )  Also I have been playing with
using complex clippings of sphere surfaces to use as hair.  Actually it
is kind of on the back burning right now but it seemed quite fast
rendering.  Don't know if any of that relates to your problem.