POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3D Sound System : Re: POV-Ray 3D Sound System Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3D Sound System
From: Rune
Date: 19 Sep 2004 04:07:57
Message: <414d3e5d@news.povray.org>
pov### [at] almostbestwebnet wrote:
> Have you considered simply having povray
> render a text file in csound syntax?
> csound is a public domain cross-platform
> audio rendering package.  It's pov-ray for
> sound.  No need to code any java.  :D
>
> I havn't tried this beacause I can't figure
> csound out.  I do remember that csound will
> read in external .wav files so careful use
> of variable delays, panning, and volume
> (amplitude) envelopes/modulation should
> be enough to move sound-sources in 3-space.

I did have a look at csound before I found OpenAL, but it didn't look
straightforward or easy to learn. Besides, with csound I'd have to do all
the hard work myself modulating volumes, waves, panning to simulate 3d,
while with OpenAL it really does everything by itself because it's designed
for 3d-environments from the beginning. I don't manipulate any sound data at
all, I just pass on the information that OpenAL needs to do it, like
positions of the sound sources and the camera/listener.

The only problem is that OpenAL is made for real-time and thus plays the
sound immediately. The sound can only be stored in a file by recording what
is being played. My program starts and stops the recording automatically so
that the timing is just right, but there is still some reduction in sound
quality, because of the indirect way it is saved. Not a big deal though.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com