POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Too many nested objects : Re: Too many nested objects Server Time
2 Jun 2024 14:49:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too many nested objects
From: Slime
Date: 18 Sep 2004 15:30:42
Message: <414c8ce2$1@news.povray.org>
> -How many objects may I nest and in which circumstances do they count?
> Knowing something more specific would help in testing for a workaround.

I think the "Too many nested objects" error occurs when a ray passes through
a large number of surfaces of different objects without ever passing *out*
of any of the objects.

Sometimes, however, this is avoidable. For instance, this error can
(theoretically) occur when you're using the "stacked planes" method for
clouds; if you use n planes for n layers of cloud detail, and n is too
large, then you'll get the error because all of the upper planes are inside
of the lower planes.

However, if you switch to n/2 intersections of 2 planes each, so that
there's an upper and a lower plane for each pair and the "inside" of the
object is the space between them, rays going through them will go into an
object, then out of that object, in and out, until they reach the other
side, and the error is avoided.

This workaround can be used for basically any situation except those where
the interiors of the objects are important.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]