POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3D Sound System : Re: POV-Ray 3D Sound System Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3D Sound System
From: Jellby
Date: 17 Sep 2004 16:20:27
Message: <414b470b@news.povray.org>
Among other things, ingo wrote:

> The Java program should know the relation ball -> bump.wav, not POV-Ray.
> The Java script should know the sound-properties of the ball-object,
> like should I start the sound one frame, or n milliseconds, before or
> after the impact. Should it still have a sound some time after it
> bounced, etc. Also you could do some extra calculations in POV-Ray to
> determine wether the trigger should switch from off to on.

Those are my thoughts too. POV-Ray should be used only to "calculate" the
relative positions of different sound sources and observer, and to get some
other properties (what's the source's speed?) and triggers (did the ball
hit the ground?). Well, maybe the speed can be calculated afterwards too.

By the way, did you (Rune) take into account sound retardation (the time it
takes for the sound to reach the observer)? For this, you'd need the speed
of sound, which I suggest should be an adjustable variable and given in pov
units, this also affects the Doppler effect.

Another thought: the "microphone" doesn't have to be the same as the camera
;-)

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x