POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using a mesh and a plane : Re: Using a mesh and a plane Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using a mesh and a plane
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 15 Sep 2004 11:14:58
Message: <41485c72$1@news.povray.org>
Hi there!

So, it depends on how your data is saved to disk. POV-Ray has limited
capabilities of reading and writing data to disk, the value needs to be
comma separated, e.g.: "4,6,2,7,3,2,..."
It can read strings, which need to have the quotes at beginning and end
(like this: "string"), floats and vectors. You might want to search for
#read and #write in the docs, as well as #fopen and #fclose.

Then, once you can retrieve the data, you'd just have to place it in proper
vectors and then use those vectors to generate the mesh.

If, by any chance, you arrange the vectors in a 2D-Array (script would look
like this: #declare DataField = array[X][Y]) and arrange the vectors in that
array properly, you might want to have a look at my Mesh-Modifying-Macros,
or short, MMM, available in the Downloads-section of my website. The macros
there take a 2D-Array and create a mesh out of it.

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"