POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Toruses are making me cry. : Re: Toruses are making me cry. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toruses are making me cry.
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Sep 2004 15:21:45
Message: <414744c9@news.povray.org>
As JohnK mentioned, the torus is too big. If you look at the docs, you'll
notice that a torus needs two floats as input: the first defines the major
radius, the second the minor radius. In your case, the minor radius is
almost as large as the major radius. Hence, only a very small hole would be
left in the torus, but that may be your intention.

To clear things up: the torus sits at the origin, its equator lying on the
y-plane. To move objects about, you use "translate". It is quiet important
where in your code you translate the object: if you move it before the
texture-block, the texture won't be translated with the object in case you
decide to animate that translation. All this is covered somewhere in the
docs, so you might want to look a little into that. I've had to read that
section in 3.5-days quiet a few times until I fully grasped all the
implications of this for animations.

Regards,
Tim

--