POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Burn mark on an isosurface : Re: Burn mark on an isosurface Server Time
2 Jun 2024 13:50:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Burn mark on an isosurface
From: =Bob=
Date: 10 Sep 2004 17:33:10
Message: <41421d96$1@news.povray.org>
"Thies Heidecke" <h3i### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message news:41420abd$1@news.povray.org...
: "=Bob=" <robertUNDERSCOREdobbinsATmailDOTtdsDOTnet> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
: news:4141cc92$1@news.povray.org...
: > I would like to make it look like there's a slight burn mark
: > on an isosurface object. How would you go about making
: > it look like that?
:
: Hi,
: i made a small scene with a sphere-iso which has a
: (very simple) symbol dented into it. Is that what
: you had in mind ?

Yes.

: In general i would try to think of a function which
: has positive values where i later want my bumps to
: appear and everywhere else zero (or close to zero).
: Then you have to do a coordinate transformation
: so that your dents appear in the right place with
: the right orientation and scaling.

Ok, I will try.

: In the example i used a kind of 3d-gaussian-bell-
: falloff-function and added four differently placed
: copies of it to the rest of the isofunction.
: If you have a more specific shape in mind, tell me.
:
: > =Bob Clueless=
: Thies

Thanks! I will try it out!