POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov 1.1b, HDRI and Paul Debevecs Maps [~100k] : Re: MegaPov 1.1b, HDRI and Paul Debevecs Maps [~100k] Server Time
11 Jun 2024 16:55:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov 1.1b, HDRI and Paul Debevecs Maps [~100k]
From: A Brinkmann
Date: 9 Sep 2004 03:23:21
Message: <414004e9@news.povray.org>
> Considering that map type 7 is stated as being specifically
> for Paul Debevec spherical light probes, I wonder what exactly
> is going on in the renderer....

I don't think it's a problem of this map type... I used Debevec's
HDR Shop program to convert the map to a spherical map, and mapped
it with map_type 1... same problem. I think the problem is that this
map has some very small, very bright spots. As far as I understand
the concept of radiosity, it's not very well suited to simulate point
light sources. After applying a gaussian blur to the map, the effect
disappeared almost completely.