POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : uv_mapping around a box : Re: uv_mapping around a box Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv_mapping around a box
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 5 Sep 2004 17:12:16
Message: <413b8130$1@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote in message
> > Basically, then I'm left with a
> > 1400x700 image (in x direction: 200+500+200+500, in y direction:
> > 200+300+200) layed out in the wrap-around shape that the documentation
> > shows.
>
> Regardless of what size the sides of the box are, each box face in your
> image must be 1/4 of the image width and 1/3 of the image height, as shown
> in the image in the documentation. If you have some faces which are 200
> pixels wide and some which are 500 pixels wide, they won't UV map onto the
> box in any sensible way.
>
> One solution: Take each of the individual faces in a 2D editor and resize
> them to 200x200 pixels (this may make the images appear squeezed
> horizontally or vertically, but that effect will be reversed when they are
> placed on the box which is not 1x1x1 in size). Then composite them in an
> 800x600 image. This image should UV map properly without any
> transformations.

Thanks for the help.  I see how it works now.  As far as the image is
concerned, all sides are equal in size.

For any non-square box, that seems like a real pain.  I think I'll just map
the images onto each face of the box by creating each face separately and
not using uv_mapping.  That actually sounds easier to me than stretching my
images in strange ways.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com