POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Christian Walther
Date: 2 Sep 2004 05:13:14
Message: <4136e42a$1@news.povray.org>
About the order of anti-aliasing and gamma correction:

Nathan Kopp wrote:
> So, if you were to perform AA by hand by rendering the image at a higher
> resolution and then downsample it using an external paint program, the
> downsampling is clearly occurring after clipping and gamma correction.

Yes, but if the program does it properly (I suspect most don't), it goes
like this: undo the gamma encoding to get linear sample values, process
these, and re-gamma-encode them. So the effect is the same as if the
downsampling was done before the gamma correction (apart from some
rounding errors).

About the order of anti-aliasing and clipping: I tend to agree with Rune
and Slime (and Nathan) on this matter, and I don't have anything to add
to the discussion.

  -Christian