POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: andrel
Date: 31 Aug 2004 08:19:58
Message: <41346C73.6070705@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:

> Severi Salminen <sev### [at] not_thissibafi> wrote:
>
>>Question is: should POV-Ray try to simulate an imperfect optical system?
>

>   POV-Ray is already doing that.
>   Antialiasing brings the image closer to what a photograph would look like.
> Why stop half-way?
Because everything in the current implementation can be performed on
a pixel by pixel base, without changing already computed pixels or
influencing things to come. Some solutions would require that
or require postprocessing. Adding a new switch to get old
behaviour begs the question on where that switch should be.
Do we want that on an object by object base or as a global switch.
Some solutions require a rather big extension to the SDL.
Perhaps adding a pointspread function is easiest to implement
because it is close to focal blur, perhaps not. I will let
the POV team decide.

My suggestion would be to wait a couple of weeks and see what
the POV team comes up with. They said that they were working
on it (or at least discussing), so there is no need anymore
for a discussion if a solution would be desirable.