POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 31 Aug 2004 04:57:55
Message: <41343d93@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   No, it's a property of the film (well, in this case the CCD of the
> digital camera, but it works the same way there). Sometimes when you
> have extreme overexposure at the border of a frame in a film, the
> brightness might even bleed partially to the adjacent frame.
>
>   Without this natural property it would be impossible to photograph
> things which are smaller than what the film would normally record, no
> matter how bright these things are. However, as we know, if the thing
> is bright enough, it will imprint the film no matter how small it is.

Actually it is imperfections both in the lens and in the film/sensor.
Even the best lenses have many different aberrations (like spherical
aberration, chromatic aberration etc.) which cause a point in the scene
render a circle/disc/ellipse/whatever to the film. Also the film is not
perfect: there are many layers in the film. These cause inner
reflections which spread the light that hits the film.

Question is: should POV-Ray try to simulate an imperfect optical system?
And is antialiasing the right place to do it?