POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 30 Aug 2004 07:42:25
Message: <413312a1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Have you ever heard of film exposure times and overexposures?
> Overexposure is not always a mistake in photography, nor is it in
> raytracing either.

Slightly OT, but:

In my opinion "overexposure" or "underexposure" is allways a mistake and
not intentional. "Increasing exposure" or "decreasing exposure", on the
other hand, IS intentional and gives the desired result and the result
is then a correctly exposed image. And all this relates allways to the
usage of a light meter which gives some initial values for shutter speed
and aperture that we can alter.

In your image, it is hard to say whether it is overexposed or
underexposed or both/neither. The scene itself (expect the sun) is maybe
underexposed as there is no detail in the trees. The sun is overexposed
because it is very bright. The whole scene is probably quite correctly
exposed to give desired effect. With small P&S digital cameras it is
quite common that deepest shadows are "blocked" (ie. black, no detail)
and brightest highlights are "blown out" (white, no detail). With good
B&W film it is possible to capture a wider dynamic range with some detail.

> Letting the Sun overexpose the photograph was completely intentional
> and in fact gives a good photographical effect.

Actually sun is not "overexposing the photograph" but sun "gets
overexposed in the photograph".

Severi