POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? : Re: Boned mesh file formats? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boned mesh file formats?
From: Rune
Date: 29 Aug 2004 10:19:17
Message: <4131e5e5$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I did this **in povray** for this anim:
> (6 MB download:
> http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/anims/2004-04-15/ought.mpg )
>
> I used Mike William's file for extruding a mesh along a spline.  I had
> another walk cycle which generated the points of the skeleton, then
> simply put a natural spline along them. Mike Williams then generates
> the mesh 2.

Extruding a mesh along a spline which happens to go through some points in a
skeleton is not the same as deforming a mesh directly according to the bones
in a skeleton.

Your technique no doubt worked for your specific alien characters (that look
like they're made of sphere_sweeps) but are you claiming it can be used as a
general method to animate mesh characters such as your MIME Man or my AL the
Alien character (provided they were meshes to begin with)?

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com