POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? : Re: Some answers Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some answers
From: John VanSickle
Date: 28 Aug 2004 12:03:35
Message: <4130acd7@news.povray.org>
> My problem is that a cubic bezier triangle can't be connected smoothly
> to cubic bezier patches - what I'd need is a similar conversion
> algorithm for something like Zheng-Ball patches (J.J. Zheng, A.A. Ball.

It was my own inability to find a way to stitch the patches smoothly
togeher that led me to developing a hybrid suface subdivision scheme.
This makes POV-Ray parsing a lot slower, though.

Charles Loop has been working on S-patches, which can have any number
of sides and can be as smooth as the modeler needs.  The problem with
them is that they require a s***load of control points.

Regards,
John