POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Rune
Date: 27 Aug 2004 17:45:02
Message: <412fab5e@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I explained the quite in depth in my previous replies.  If anything is
> unclear about what i wrote please ask.

Well, you've said a lot of things, and it's difficult for me to know what
exactly is the core of the problem, but I suppose I just need to take it
quote by quote.

> That is not quite correct, POV-Ray 3.6 had clipping/gamma correction
> before antialiasing with non-adaptive aa (which contained a bug causing
> trouble with gamma correction).  3.6.1 fixed this bug by moving the
> clipping to the very end of the whole process

Gamma correction needed to be moved to after the AA, but it is not clear
here why clipping needed to be moved to after AA too.

> Since it is very common (and will become even more common with HDR
> output) to post process these tone mapping effects applying them
> before the antialiasing step is not always an option.

Why is it not an option to clip to the 0-1 range prior to AA in those cases
where the output format is also restricted to the 0-1 range?

> You have failed to bring up any arguments why applying tone
> mapping before antialiasing is more consistent than doing it before file
writing.

You write tone mapping here, but tone mapping is many things as you've
explained yourself. I have never said that *all* tone mapping should be done
prior to AA, only that clipping to the same range as the output format
supports (which may be infinity) should be done before AA. And my argument
for doing this is to avoid the jagged edges. What was your counter-argument
again?

> That's right if you use gamma correction purely for the purpose it is
> intended for (i.e. for compensating the monitor gamma).  A lot of people
> however use it for artistic purposes just like the clipping.

Do you mean that support for incorrect use of gamma correction has higher
priority than the possibility of using bright objects without getting jagged
edges?

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com