POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
9 Sep 2024 03:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Aug 2004 17:38:29
Message: <412fa9d5@news.povray.org>
In article <412f9568@news.povray.org> , "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:

>> It is a clear correction to previously incorrect behavior.  Previously
>> POV-Ray was broken, it no longer is.
>
> The previous behavior was correct; the current behavior is broken.

That may well be your opinion, but that does not make you statement correct.
Prior to POV-Ray 3.6 what you got when using anti-aliasing was a fancy
averaged blur of every pixel, not different from scaling down an image
rendered without anti-aliasing.  That is not all what anti-aliasing is
about.  This certainly is a nice side effect of an incorrect implementation.

In reality small bright objects do not disappear, ever.  To the contrary.

If you want this behavior, render with twice the resolution and scale down
using some fancy algorithm in your favorite image editing program.  That
gets you the effect you so much desire, no matter how incorrect it is.

Either way, I suggest to end this fruitless discussion.  POV-Ray will not be
damaged the way you ask, no matter how much noise you produce.  The decision
stands as is because it corrects a bug.  If you do not like this correction,
you are free to continue to use POV-Ray 3.5.  Nobody is forcing you to use
POV-Ray 3.6 after all.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde