POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Aug 2004 14:30:54
Message: <412f7dde@news.povray.org>
In article <412f3c83$1@news.povray.org> , "Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom>
wrote:

>> Keep dreaming.
>
> I *am* dreaming - of a POV-Ray where certain developers wouldn't have so
> much of a "we know better, so mind your own business" kind of attitude.

It is not like somebody in the team woke up one day and said: Hey, what am I
going to do today?  Ah, yes, I know, I am going to "break" anti-aliasing to
screw up Rune's scenes.

It is a clear correction to previously incorrect behavior.  Previously
POV-Ray was broken, it no longer is.

>> Frankly, as there will be complains no matter what we
>> do, it certainly isn't going to be a reason to change anything.
>
> Who would complain if there feature was optional?

Because it is not a feature, it always was a bug.  Unlike some companies,
the POV-Ray tries to not sell you bugs as features.  We corrected the bug.
It was requested many times in the past to fix it sooner rather than later.

>> It is that simple. Get over it and fix your scenes!
>
> Fix them how exactly?

That is simple: You assume POV-Ray has some "magic" exposure control.  The
scenes you are rendering would not be visible to a human eye in reality.
You eye will adjust to the bight visible part and the rest will appear
darker.  POV-Ray could do this for you by keeping all unclipped pixel value
and than normalise them to 1.0 based on some approximation (there is no
generally unique algorithm to do this "right"), but so far no such feature
has been implemented.

So what you need to do is rather trivial: Learn to understand that POV-Ray
is not like a camera, it is like a window.  When you look out, your eyes
would adjust and you would not get over-exposure.  As outlined, POV-Ray
cannot do this, so to what you would when it is to bright somewhere: Turn
down your light.

Yes, the dark parts of the scene will not be visible, but they are not
visible in the real world either.  And what you will get is more/better
realism!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde