POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? : Re: Some answers Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some answers
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 27 Aug 2004 13:11:36
Message: <412f6b48$1@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>
>>Have you thought about more complicated things, like
>>some flesh bulging out when a join moves? Simply because
>>of conservation of volume.
>

> No, I think the problem we are facing is complicated enough without
> considering these things.

You will need at least *something* - take, for example, an arm or leg of
a human model: If it bends to the maximum allowed angle (let's say 170
degrees), the upper and lower parts would intersect, which would look
quite odd in an animation.
The easiest solution are IMHO morphs. If you'd have a morph for the
fully bended arm, you could apply it partially before actually applying
the rotation:

E.g, if the maximum angle is 170 degrees, and you bend it 50% (85
degrees), apply 50% of the morph, then rotate the resulting points
around the joint for 85 degrees.

Once implemented, this method can easily be used to simulate muscle
movement too.

I've made some experiments a while ago, here's an example of what I mean:
http:/www.jpatch.com/old/arm.mpg

I'm about to implement it in my modeler (which used a spline based
approach and outputs bicubic patches to pov-ray), and use an xml-style
file format...

-sascha