POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Rune
Date: 27 Aug 2004 12:07:56
Message: <412f5c5c@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I have the impression you did not read completely what i wrote.
> When you have very bright parts in a scene it would be *wrong* to clip
them

First of all, there is no objective right or wrong. What you think is wrong
might be right to me, and possibly a lot of other users.

> because as long as the file format used for writing the image supports
> it it should be unclipped in the file.

So clip it at the maximum value that the output format supports? Which
happens still to be 1.0 at the vast majority of supported formats.

> The jagged edges you observe are part of a larger problem
> (the non-linear tone mapping) and just clipping the color
> values at an arbitrary value

Not arbitrary.

> before antialiasing does not solve this problem (it would
> just be an artistic trick).

And I suppose that this thing that you call a trick, and which many users
want, and which make many images look better is *wrong*? Why?

And when I define the problem as the presence of jagged edges, then why is
the discussed clipping not a solution to this problem, when it does indeed
remove the jagged edges?

Mind you, for me a "solution" is to use POV-Ray 3.5 instead of 3.6. It's
just not a very good solution. You can't say what's a solution and what
isn't to a problem that I have defined.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com