POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Rune
Date: 27 Aug 2004 09:45:42
Message: <412f3b06$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> - to serve as an artistic/technical element (in fact the clipping
> itself is not the artistic element but the use of colors brighter
> than <1,1,1> for pure white).  What you complain about not being
> possible any more is exactly this kind of trick.

If I have a pure radiosity scene illuminated by a bright object representing
the sun, how is it an "artistic element" to have the sun be very bright? Why
do you refer to it as a "trick"? I think it is a standard use of POV-Ray to
have objects brighter than <1,1,1>. And it is undesirable to have a standard
use of the program result in jagged edges when antialiasing is turned on.

> An additional clipping option might be useful now but it should be clear
that this
> would be an additional artistic feature (just like reflection
> exponent and radiosity max_sample) and by default it should be turned
> off.

If you think that avoiding jagged edges in (for example) a scene with a
realistic setup of light intensities and textures is an "artistic feature"
the be it so, but I still think it's important.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com