POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? : Re: Boned mesh file formats? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boned mesh file formats?
From: Rune
Date: 27 Aug 2004 07:05:18
Message: <412f156e$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> I also am greatly interested in learning of this, so that I can use an
> existing format for my modeler, instead of developing Yet Another File
> Format.

The Milkshape 3D ASCII format might do the trick, at least it's the only one
I've been able to find a clear specification on (though I don't understand
it 100% yet). It can include animation data of the bones, but if you don't
need that I guess you can ignore the irrelevant parts.

Explanation of format here:
http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~wbecker/Interactive3D/milkshape.txt

Also see this page:
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/download.html
Look for this: "MsViewer MilkShape 3D ASCII Viewer for demonstrating how to
process the bones and vertices, full source code included)"

This format too attaches one bone to each vertex only, so in that regard
it's similar to yours.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com