POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I miss the old search on news.povray.org : I miss the old search on news.povray.org Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  I miss the old search on news.povray.org
From: Rune
Date: 24 Aug 2004 03:07:29
Message: <412ae931$1@news.povray.org>
I've been trying to use the new Google search on news.povray.org a few times
now and it just seems unable to do the needed tasks.

I cannot:

Limit the search to a specific poster. Typing the name of a person find
posts where the name appear anywhere inside the message. For people in the
community that are often referred to, this makes it utterly inefficient to
try to search for messages actually posted by them.

Search for messages with specific words in the subject line. This often one
of the most useful ways to search newsgroup messages, but Google makes it
impossible, by not differentiating between the subject line and the rest of
the page.

And most important: Google does not find all messages that matches the
search.

A search for '"toy lamp" "light beam"' does not find this message:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3fc7e122%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=197616&toff=900

A search for 'rune patina' does not find this message:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3fc74d84%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=197616&toff=900

A search for 'asteroid apache' does not find this message:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3fc7c3e7%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=197616&toff=900

Really, trying to search for a name + subject line combination for specific
messages almost consistently fails to find the message. And this is not new
messages that Google haven't had time to index yet. What use is this search
then?

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com