POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sphere distorted near edge of picture, : Re: Sphere distorted near edge of picture, Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere distorted near edge of picture,
From: Rune
Date: 22 Aug 2004 04:29:05
Message: <41285951@news.povray.org>
Harold wrote:
> It is also what happens with the human eye, it is our brain
> that compensates and perceives objects as undistorted
> shapes.

I don't believe our retina is flat... ;) So whatever distortions appear in
the human eye, it wouldn't be perspective distortions.

> It only looks odd in renderings because it is isolated,
> out of context, and presented on a two dimensional plane.

No, it looks odd because the angle the picture is taken with (or rendered
with) doesn't match the angle that the picture takes up of your field of
view when you're looking at it. If you move your head close to the monitor,
so that the picture takes up an angle of your field of view that is
identical to the angle in the picture, then the distorted view of the
objects will be "distorted back again" and look completely correct. This
however is often not possible in reality, since you'd often have to move
your head ridiculously close to the monitor. But it works in theory.

> If you render the same image from two perspectives as a stereo
> image and view it in stereo, it will look realistic rather than
> distorted because your brain will fuse the discrepancies
> (distortions) of the two images as depth information.

I'm not sure that's necessary.

> (note: assuming that the angles are within normal human
> viewing parameters)

But the whole reason that things look distorted is that the angle of the
image is not within normal viewing parameters - i.e. you have to move your
head very close to the picture to see it in the right angle.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com