POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can I bake UV textures with Povray? : Re: Can I bake UV textures with Povray? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can I bake UV textures with Povray?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Aug 2004 17:13:39
Message: <41266983$1@news.povray.org>

news:web.41265e718e935cee8d515f450@news.povray.org...
> That's right; that's exactly what I'm looking for - I want to sample the
> texture at every point on the mesh and map it to a UV plane. So Povray
> can't do this?

In fact we're talking about two different things here.

- uv-mapping itself: creating uv coordinates isn't a trivial issue. Since
the original mesh doesn't have uv data in the first place, you need to
create them beforehand in Wings or to add them to the obj file using
UVMapper or one of the more expensive 3D painting apps like BodyPaint or
Deep Paint / Deep UV. POV-Ray itself cannot create the uv vectors. In fact,
even if it could do it at render time, that would be useless to you since
your final model is in another format.

- creating the pigment map: once the uvs are created, you can use POV-Ray to
"bake" whatever pigment into a bitmap, as previously explained. The
limitation is that the 3D-ishness of the procedural mapping will be lost,
which can be a problem if the aspect of the final texture really depends on
it (like wood for instance). Of course, it's still possible to use POV-Ray
to generate some basic maps and put them together by hand on the final
texture map.

To do what you want, you need to uv-map (i.e. attach the uv coordinates)
your models first. Then you can convert them to POV-Ray and create the
bitmap itself there (like you'd do in Photoshop in fact). The map will be
usable for your final model since the uv coordinates won't change.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com