POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can I bake UV textures with Povray? : Re: Can I bake UV textures with Povray? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:11:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can I bake UV textures with Povray?
From: Slime
Date: 20 Aug 2004 15:38:58
Message: <41265352@news.povray.org>
> box {
>    <0, 0, 0>, <1, 1, 1>
>    texture { Texture }
>    translate -<1, 1, 0>/2
> }
>
> camera {
>    orthographic
>    right x
>    up y
> }

This would render a flat section of the texture. This is not what ekolis is
looking for.

I believe what he wants is this: consider a complex mesh floating in space,
with a procedural texture applied.

He wants to sample the procedural texture on the surface of the mesh in
order to create a 2D image, which, when applied with proper UV coordinates
on the mesh, will cause the mesh to look exactly as it did with the
procedural texture.

To answer his question, POV-Ray cannot do this on its own. I'm not even sure
if it can be done with SDL.

It would certainly be a useful feature for times when you want to animate a
mesh and have the texture remain static on it, yet still have textured it
procedurally.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]