POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oyonale 2004 update : Re: Oyonale 2004 update Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oyonale 2004 update
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Aug 2004 04:59:11
Message: <4125bd5f@news.povray.org>
In article <4125b6ab@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>  I always wonder why people are so eager to use proprietary closed
> formats which require a certain specific player to watch (which is
> usually available for 1-2 OSs) when there are better alternatives.
>   I would understand this if the compression/quality ratio would be
> superb in these formats, but it's actually the exact opposite.

I don't think there is a standard 3d panorama format available, and if any
QuickTime is the most cross-platform of them all ... of course, without
being able to see it, you cannot know there is a 3d panorama inside!

Gilles has a link to a traditional 2d image from his 2004 updates page (at
the bottom, second from the left iirc).  The scene file is also there, so
you can render it yourself.  Of course, the scene file is in a proprietary
format as well.  I think it is this odd proprietary POV-Ray format or
something like that ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde