POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory Concerns : Re: Memory Concerns Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:07:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Concerns
From: Warp
Date: 18 Aug 2004 14:43:53
Message: <4123a369@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen <rylan@ <deletehis>intekom.co.za> wrote:
> Just for interest sake - what IS the Finnish word for crash? I. e. software
> lockup?

  "Kaatua", which literally translated means "to fall" (meaning something
which is standing falls over, not something which has been dropped).

> What do you say? In nearest English phonetic obviously.

  Well, Finnish verbs are inflected depending on their role in
a sentence and it's thus not possible to give one single word which
would work in every sentence. Finnish verbs have more than 130 inflections
(compare that to the at most 5 inflections of English verbs). Thus I gave
just the infinitive form of the verb above.

  If you want to know how "kaatua" is pronounced, "kaa" is pronounced
like "ca" in the word "car" but with a long 'a' sound, "tu" is pronounced
like the english word "to" and the last "a" is pronounced the same as
the "a" in the word "car".
  But as I said, that's just the infinitive form and thus has a quite
limited use in itself. :)