POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Which would be more efficient? : Re: Which would be more efficient? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which would be more efficient?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Aug 2004 13:28:10
Message: <412391aa@news.povray.org>
In article <412388e2@news.povray.org> , Stefan Viljoen
<rylan@<deletehis>intekom.co.za>  wrote:

> My question: how do you ppl optimise offscreen objects / meshes? I. e. parts
> of your scene that are not in the camera field of view - a plane I suppose
> would make no difference, but what about complicated isosurfaces and so
> forth extending "around" the camera? Even just a bit?

You have a serious misconception how ray-tracing works.  There are no meshes
offscreen or onscreen other than the mesh object, and you gain no speed by
removing objects not visible.  You do decrease memory usage assuming you
already have too little memory in your system if you remove object.  POV-Ray
tells you how much memory it used after each render, so check if it used
more than you have.

After reading <http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/4/> I would
recommend reading
<http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#wireframes>