POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about $ for declare? : Re: How about $ for declare? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about $ for declare?
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 14 Aug 2004 13:30:23
Message: <411e4c2f$1@news.povray.org>
> Also, though this doesn't help those on open-source ports of PoV-Ray, the
> Windows users of PoV-Ray have that lovely in-built editor.  All one need do
> on WinPov is type "sph" then press Tab, and you have your complete word.
> Try it with "pig" as well!
Dunno about povmode for emacs etc., but if you're using QtPOVEditor
(qtpoveditor.sf.net), you have that auto-complete-thingy for both
keywords and custom identifiers.

I normally don't like full-quotes, but I got the impression that if
everyone anticipating in this discussion right now would reread
Christoph's post, there would not be much to discuss anymore:

"It leads to awfully obfuscated code. [...] With the same arguments you
could replace every  other keyword with the shortest unique abbreviation
- but no one could read the code any more then."

So, think again - how much time do you really spend with typing only
when you're creating a POV scene? IMHO POV SDL allows some pretty
cryptic stuff already (and yes, I'm using that, too ;) so there's no
need to make it even more complicated.

While talking about SDL changes, the only thing that one would IMHO
benefit from is the #set keyword from former MegaPOV, combined with an
error/warning when trying to re-declare already declared identifiers.

Florian (who would like to have references in POV-SDL, too ;)