POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Parsing speed speedup : Parsing speed speedup Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Parsing speed speedup
From: Doppelganger
Date: 13 Aug 2004 21:39:44
Message: <411d6d60$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all. I'm doing my first "real" image in POV-Ray, and part of it involves
set of nested #whiles to pave a 22x15 area of the XZ plane (with 0.28 unit
spacing on both axes). As the floor is reasonably complex, I decided to
#declare it as floor_final and #declared a simple plane as floor_dev. This
 allows me to alternate between the two "versions" by replacing
object {floor_final} with object {floor_dev} to speed up rendering when
testing/modelling other parts of the scene. As predicted, the rendering time
improved visibly, but the parsing times are pretty much the same. Given that
only a small part of the scene is done, and that the floor detail level is
my
target for all other features, I'm afraid test renders will become quite
SLOW.

From the syntax "#declare" and "#while" etc etc I have to assume these work
as pre-processor directives, which would mean the code would be fully
expanded
without prior testing for actual use. This is also consistent with the
unchanging
parse time. Is there a way to make code expansion/evaluation lazy? Or
perhaps
a workaround for this matter?