POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : (simple?) Isosurface patch request : Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request Server Time
26 Jun 2024 00:44:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 13 Aug 2004 18:53:44
Message: <411D45D6.5050706@hotmail.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Samuel Benge wrote:
>

>> The patchwork is already done. On his webpage,
>> http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/povray/patches/isoacc-patch/
>>
>> Wolfgang describes what seems to be a perfect fix for a common problem
>> with rendered isosurfaces: black spots and 'chopped up' surfaces.
>

> That is not true.  Black spots on isosurfaces can have multiple reasons,
> the most common being an insufficient max_gradient.  The idea of using
> interpolation for the final root position is good but it is not a
> panacea for all kind of isosurface problems.  In other words it will
> only improve the results if the isosurface root finder has already
> successfully found the root.
>
> Christoph

I understand this, but did you look at the comparison images?
Interpolation after the last step 'glues' the isosurface together, so it
doesn't have holes that really shouldn't be there in the first place.
The isosurface renders up to (and more than) two_times_faster. His patch
sure seems like a bug fix to me.

Max_gradient issues are, IMO, easy to fix. You raise the max_gradient.
Done. No amount of that, however, can fix problems not related to
insufficient max_gradient values....

-Sam