POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Problems with Mega POV : Re: Problems with Mega POV Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with Mega POV
From: Hughes, B
Date: 10 Aug 2004 23:31:28
Message: <41199310$1@news.povray.org>
"noen" <noe### [at] asarian-hostorg> wrote in message
> - i am only trying to give the straight facts and perhaps that effort has
> contributed to a misperception? i really and truly have tried my best to
> describe my problem to the best of my ability - i have read each reply and
> tried to figure out what it is i need to do to get megapov to work - i
> can't firgure it out - can anyone help please?

Okay, I'll step in where I might be useful. Perhaps a miracle can happen--
or not.
:-)
Could you go into your actual system registry file to get an actual look at
it? As long as you don't edit anything you'd be safe enough to do so (run
Regedit). That could put this "home registry" thing to rest. Should be (I
don't know about Windows 2000, XP here):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray

There should be a v3.5 folder there and within that is a Windows folder
containing the Home keyword. If its data says the correct path to your
installation then all that should be required of that MegaPOV 1.0 executable
is for it to be located in the POV3.5\bin subfolder on your disk drive.

When MegaPOV or 3.5 is used the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\CurrentVersion\Windows

will contain a VersionNo keyword showing which is being, or had been, used.

It really ought to be that simple, even though it has been a long time since
I've used MP. I think that's why people are wondering why it wouldn't be
going as easily for you. It sounds like you are going about it in a more
complex way than need be, with your wanting to run programs securely.
Would certainly help matters if someone else using W2K could help you verify
your procedure and setup. I just think there isn't anything more to it than
already said, though, because I don't even recall any "installer" for MP1.0.

Okay, I just had to get another look at MP1.0 again so I went and got the
zip and all it has is several folders that contain what should be copied to
their respective destination places. Maybe you overwrote the original 3.5
bin folder, as well as the others? All you need is megapov.exe in the
POV-Ray for Windows v3.5\bin with all the previous files still there and
then run megapov.exe from there.

P.S.
Nevermind discussing rudeness, that's where most people get into trouble
anyhow. And... are we getting any closer to fixing the problem?
;-)
Bob H.