POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gds2pov : Re: gds2pov Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gds2pov
From: Roger Light
Date: 10 Aug 2004 10:19:13
Message: <4118d961@news.povray.org>
William Pokorny wrote:

> Cool!  A couple of years ago for the world within worlds IRTC round I hit
> upon the idea of rendering one of the chips we'd designed which was inside
> the box I used to do the render. Image was a cloudy semi transparent sphere
> which contained a rendering of the entire chip inside the sphere floating
> over the chip itself in large. Kind of the sphere over the checker plane
> twisted on in on itself.  My management loved it and approved entering the
> contest, but our legal department nixed it and the image as well as several
> other derivative images has never seen the light of day - I did make a
> couple of personal prints which hang in my apartment.

Wow, that sounds really good. Shame you couldn't release it!

> If it is real chip data, take care that you have been granted legal
> permission to use the mask data and release images of it. Companies invest
> 10s of millions in a set of mask data and they can be pretty protective of
> it!

As you say, most of the pictures aren't "real" data. The ones that are
real data are not particularly sensitive plus you can't really see that
much. Distributing the scene code would be another thing altogether of
course.

The work you see is my own, with the exception of the very complicated
looking scene. I am in research at a university so we don't really have
that many trade secrets.

Cheers,

Roger