POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Java on Mac? : Re: Java on Mac? Server Time
19 May 2024 20:48:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Java on Mac?
From: RJay Hansen
Date: 9 Aug 2004 11:44:53
Message: <41179bf5@news.povray.org>
Tom Stone wrote:

> David Nedrow wrote:
>

>>It sounds as though you're running OS 9. Is that correct? If so, I'm not
>>sure you're going to have much luck with getting current Java apps to run.
>

> Yep, OS 9.2.2. And as I understood from Thorsten's reply, Java programs can't
> be run on my platform anymore.
> Not much of a disappointment though, I've never had much success with Java
> programs before this either.
> If they even run at all, they are usually painfully slow. A mystery that it
> has gained such popularity.
>
> I'm grateful for your answer though. Thanks!
> Tom Stone

You might want to check out Art of Illusion, a full-featured java
modeler/renderer. It has a third party-written POV export module which
works quite well in my testing.

I haven't tested it in OS 9 recently, but it did run great in 9 the last
time I tried (the developer was writing it in Mac OS 9 originally).
Their web site is down this morning apparently (Aug 9 U.S. time) but the
URL is:

http://www.artofillusion.org

It's worth a look.

BTW, you can run Java programs in 9, but 9 only supports an older
version of Java (1.1 I think) and most newer stuff is using a newer
version of Java that 9 won't run.

RJay
http://www.rocketjam.com

(one of these days I'll finish updating my site's listing of Mac POV
modelers/utilities and which ones work in OS 9 and/or OS X)