POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HF's thickness in POV : Re: HF's thickness in POV Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF's thickness in POV
From: Hughes, B
Date: 6 Aug 2004 19:22:55
Message: <411412cf$1@news.povray.org>
"Cees" <cvd### [at] xs4allnl> wrote in message

> Does anyone know how to get the "boxed-look" on HF's in povray?
> My HF's are ultra thin...and I like to add some thickness to them. I
> remember that with the DOS versions I always got that boxed look, but with
> the win version I'm not able to get it right.

Hmmmmm. Either my previous answer wasn't what you wanted to do, not working
right for you, or you somehow missed reading it? I noticed someone else (oh,
was Bonsai in p.b.s-f.) also answered similar as me. Anyway, here is that
again:

"You'll need to intersect or difference a box and the HF since they
are only a one unit square with an implied depth."

intersection {
    height_field {...} // could texture this here
    box {0,1} // could texture this here
// or both here
}

As long as you don't change the scale or move the HF before this is done you
should get a box shape for the lower portion. If you were to difference the
two, instead, you would need to add 'inverse' to the box for it to retain
the HF area.

I don't remember how earlier versions dealt with the HF shape. If this isn't
going right for you please ask for more help.

Bob H.