POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : tab size settings : Re: tab size settings Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:40:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tab size settings
From: Hughes, B
Date: 6 Aug 2004 13:55:36
Message: <4113c618$1@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote in message
> Hughes, B. wrote:
> > XP Home here. Seems that, for me, all new files use the tab setting I
> > set, old files (open or not) will retain whatever tab setting they
> > previously had. That's about how I always thought it worked, although
> > I couldn't guarantee anything.
>
> New files don't even seem to consistently use the changed setting after I
> have closed POV-Ray and opened it again. Old files openened before with
3.5
> but not before with 3.6 also have the default 8 spaces instead of 3 spaces
> as I have always used.
>
> > So if you're trying to get any and all files to use a
> > new tab setting when opening other files, or switching
> > among ones in the editor, I don't recall that ever
> > happening.
>
> That's a pity. I really think I got it to work that way in POV-Ray 3.5
under
> Windows 98, because I don't remember having had to change the tab settings
> for years.

Well, it uses what the currently open file was using. I just don't believe
it can, or is even supposed to, reset the tab spacing for old files. I had a
radiosity render going so I couldn't actually check on closing POV and
restarting until now, it still uses the setting I put in there (4) even when
all files were closed with only a completely new file started afterward.

Yet, what you're saying is that everything keeps going back to 8 space tabs.
I'm trying to think if that happened before, too, because it could have in a
different 3.6.  Are you using 3.6.0.icl8.win32 there?

I definitely know I found myself making a tab setting change a short while
ago to get back to what I wanted--- oh, no wait, that was probably due to
being in a 8 space tabbed file at the time and I wanted to change its
tabbing. Altogether different thing. Unless, of course, what you talk of is
about a universal change affecting any and every file automatically. Like I
say, I didn't think it ever worked that way. Only that it keeps track of
individual file properties.

Keep in mind that I'm a person who let 8 space tabbing alone 97% of the time
in the past, so there's still a good chance the editor isn't doing as
expected.

Bob H.