POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is POV vulnerable? : Re: Is POV vulnerable? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is POV vulnerable?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Aug 2004 03:02:36
Message: <41132d0c@news.povray.org>
In article <4112d4b1$1@news.povray.org> , Francois Labreque
<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:

> Program ended abnormally on 04/08/2004 21:49, Due to a catastrophic Eli error:
>
>> maybe if you'd run a POV-Ray server.
>>
> Sorry to be blunt, but this reply proves that you don't understand the
> vulnerability.  Slime explains what is the risk and it has absolutely nothing
> to do with servers.

No, he understood perfectly.  There is no serious problem in the PNG library
at all.  Nothing to jump up and down like crazy.  The media currently does
it for every tiny bug found because of some script kids writing
Outlook-based worms.  Yet, the one has hardly anything to do with the other.

> Maybe I should have asked if the POV team was planning on releasing a patch
> that uses a patched version of LibPNG.

The probability that anything will happen to your system because of this
little bug in the PNG library when using POV-Ray is close to zero.  There is
no reason to join the hype.  The next regular bugfix release of POV-Ray will
use the next version of the PNG library.  No need to rush anything.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde