POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Seeing the Light : Re: Seeing the Light Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seeing the Light
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 4 Aug 2004 04:27:53
Message: <41109e09$1@news.povray.org>
Rick Measham <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> The ceiling in my office is white. And when it's light outside it looks
> white (radiosity aside). However when I turn the light on and I look
> directly at the light, the ceiling looks dark. I'm guessing this is because
> my eyes are dilating due to the large amount of light pouring in.
>
> In POV-Ray, is it possible to automate this?

IMHO it is not possible to automate it inside of Povray, since when it is
is tracing Pixel (1,1) is does not yet know what brightness the rest of the
picture will have, so it can't compensate for it at this point.

So you will have to do this manually (most practical for still images),
or with postprocessing.

For postprocessing, a version of Povray that doesn't clip colors and outputs
to a high dynamic format range format obviously would be optimal, but I don't
know if such a version is available.

Lutz-Peter