POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Mysteriously Disappearing Planet : Re: Mysteriously Disappearing Planet Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteriously Disappearing Planet
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 Jul 2004 13:50:17
Message: <410938d9@news.povray.org>
In article <web.41091a596ec925de1e805b560@news.povray.org> , "Patrick"
<pat### [at] hagwarecom> wrote:

> I'm putting this in the povray.newusers area because I suspect it may be a
> question that only someone with limited knowledge of POV-Ray might find
> themselves needing to ask.  I, however, have been using POV-Ray off and on
> for quite a few years.  My first POV-Ray stuff was done back when it was a
> DOS-based program.

Indeed, and the reason is given at
<http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#largescaleproblems>
because this is a frequently asked question.

The solution is very simple (and the Q&T should probably be updated to
include that as it might not be obvious to beginners).  All you need to do
is scale down your solar system.  Apart from not being able to render it as
is, you will most likely find that an absolutely accurate use of real
distances and sizes will give you rather unsatisfactory results.  There is
simply too much "space" in space and the objects you render quickly get lost
in the void.

Thus, the solution to get a nice image is to reduce distances and scale
everything to fit within about one million units.  This gives you sufficient
room to spare.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde