POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering The Scene Description : Re: Rendering The Scene Description Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering The Scene Description
From: gonzo
Date: 28 Jul 2004 23:56:25
Message: <41087569@news.povray.org>
Bill wrote:
> I find it tricky to think in 3D as I code SDL.  All too often I confuse
> myself regarding the relative positioning of the camera, lights, and
> objects.  I realize there are several 3D modelling programs but I'm curious
> if it's possible for PovRay to render it's own scene description?
<snip>
> With such an output I could then get a visual indication of the relative
> positioning of my camera, lights, and objects.
<snip>
> Would this be a difficult extension to PovRay?

Its not difficult to do in SDL, no need for an extension to the program.

Once I have the basics of what I want in my scene I usually do something
like that as a routine way of fine tuning my scene.

I first have my camera position & primary light positions defined;

#declare Cam_Pos = <position>
#declare Lights = <positions...>

Then I create a switch - case set of cameras for the usual top, side &
director views;

#declare VIEW = 0;
#switch(VIEW)
  #case (1)
    camera <some_y_spot>
  #break
  #case(2}
    camera <some_x_spot>
  #break
  #case (3)
    camera <some_z_spot>
  #break
  #case(4}
    camera <rear_perspective>
  #break
  #else
    camera Cam_Pos
#end

Then I make a red cone for the fake camera and some bright yellow
spheres for the fake lights, using the reorient_trans macro to aim the
camera to the look_at, and enclosed in

#if (VIEW)
   object { fake_camera )
#end

Then set VIEW to 0 to render my scene normally, or to 1,2,3 or 4 to get
whatever view I need.

I actually find this far more flexible than the views in Bryce or
Truespace since I'm constantly moving those around through wireframes to
try and get a view of something specific, while with Pov SDL, its easy
to set the camera to look_at specific objects or directions using
variables that I usually already have defined in the scene.

If I know there's a particular spot in the scene that I'm going to be
spending time on I define my working camera locations right into the
scene as I'm building it, then I can instantly switch to them any time.

RG