POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Compilation options for MinGW : Re: Compilation options for MinGW Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:55:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compilation options for MinGW
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 28 Jul 2004 18:45:58
Message: <41082ca6$1@news.povray.org>
<"acasta" <acastagnini AT yahoo DOT com>> wrote:

> Can you tell me whether this is just what you expect from these compilers or
> I should adjust optimisation options differently?
> Can you give me suggestions about what optimisations I should use?

There shouldn't be such a big difference.

Some results from a couple of winpov binaries I have available:

Chess2.pov, 320x240, no AA
My version (MingW): 39s
My version (BCC5):  55s
MegaPov 1.0 (MSVC): 40s
Povray 3.5 (ICL):   32s

I used these flags with mingw:
-DPRECISION_TIMER_AVAILABLE=0 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -malign-double
-march=pentium2 -mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -Wno-multichar -mno-cygwin
-Wunused-variable -static -mwindows -mno-cygwin

I don't remember wich version of MingW/Gcc version I used, though.

Lutz-Peter