POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hyperthreading benchmark : Re: Hyperthreading benchmark Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hyperthreading benchmark
From: Ger
Date: 23 Jul 2004 09:12:51
Message: <41010ed2@news.povray.org>
On Friday 23 July 2004 14:49, Warp wrote :

> Ger <ger### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> That would be?
>
>   You are basically saying that rendering two benchmarks using two
> threads should be faster than rendering one benchmark using one thread.

Either I said it wrong or you understood wrong.

Rendering 1 image on a computer with more then one processor will always be
faster then rendering the same on a single(non-hyper) processor.

What I was (tried to) pointing out that the total time spend on a single
pixel in the single instance is less then in the dual instance because of
the non_pov stuff going on.

>   This is, of course, just flawed thinking. There's no way of getting
> two benchmarks rendered faster even when using two distinct processors
> than one benchmark in one processor.

I never said it would. (and if then I definitely need to rephrase that)

>   What he is saying is that rendering two benchmars at the same time
> gets rendered 25% faster than rendering first one benchmark and then
> the other. The end result of both test is identical, but the first
> test produced it 25% faster.

Sure, I understood that. All I pointed out is that the cpu-time/pixel in the
single instance is less. Otoh, making a statement like this on a
hyperthreading processor is dodgy at best because a hyperthreading
processor is not nearly the same as two distinct processors.

--
Ger